Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Webkitten Hunting Tips

"So, do you know any available WebKit engineers?"
I've been hearing this phrase over and over ever since I put the word "WebKit" in my LinkedIn profile.
Since I'm tired of answering that question over and over again, and since I'm starting to feel sympathy towards the recruiters in their difficult rare-species scavenger hunt for webkittens, I thought I'd answer three times.

Short answer: no.
Slightly less short answer: All the "WebKit engineers" I know are connected to me on LinkedIn already, and you've already contacted them or are planning to.
Long answer: This is the wrong question. Continue if you want to know why.

Instead of searching for "WebKit engineers", that as you may have found out are few and far between, look for good C++ engineers. If you want to be more specific, find C++ engineers that worked on frameworks/reusable libraries or on cross platform code in general, since the kind of sensitivities you develop when developing reusable library code would be valuable in WebKit.
Another option for being specific, is to find engineers that work on open source projects. Their experience with working with the community and having their code constantly re-evaluated by others would be of help. If you want to be even more specific, you can combine the two (hire people with experience in open-source frameworks/libraries). For example, people who worked on Qt would feel pretty comfortable in the Webkit codebase.

I started working on WebKit around December 2009, became a committer about 4 months later, and feeling pretty comfortable around it by now. Back then I wasn't a "Webkit engineer", but I've become one because I was given the chance. Why not give this chance to others, if they're good at similar technologies or disciplines?

Q: This is all good, but what we're looking for are WebKit engineers. Do you know any?
A: No.

Happy hunting
No'am

3 comments:

  1. Funny. I used to get calls asking me if I know of any good Qt engineers. Now I get calls seeking android engineers. What's next? WP7?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written, now all you need to do is make recruiters grow a brain and realize that when all you have are limes, and you want lemons, you shouldn't end up eating turds. This blog could be capped with:

    TL&DR: All C++ engineers with relevant experience should put "Webkit fodder" on their CVs (since making someone grow a brain is a little iffy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donald: true! good addition. it's like SOE for LinkedIn. Better add the word "webkit" than "innovative" or "delivery oriented".

    ReplyDelete